from Detroit Rock City (aka Ashford), GB

Comments on doktordoktor's stuff

Thanks Jason

Jason H. Austin
Jason H. Austin said

nice

doktordoktor said

Thanks Tom. I’m not sure if the mix of instruments worked. I was trying to contrast the power of the invasion with the futility of resistance and panic of the human survivors, but perhaps I was being a bit ambitious. It was fun though, and if you listen carefully at the beginning you will hear my dog getting in on the act. She heard me shouting and ran in barking, thinking that there was really someone (or something) here! I had to laugh!

Tom Browning
Tom Browning said

I really like the mix of sounds you have going on here, Steve! The highest complement I know to pay is to say that it reminds me of a mix of AC Newman’s “Town Halo” and Buckethead’s best album, “Population Override” (which also tells a sci-fi story across several instrumentals). That said, you obviously have your own muse and it’s one I appreciate.

doktordoktor said

Thanks Proods. I appreciate your comments guys!

The Proods
The Proods said

Such a variety of sound! Amazing talent!

The Proods
The Proods said

Amazing composition….a real gem!

doktordoktor said

Thanks Tom. Boring the listeners is my greatest fear! Yes, I suggest headphones because there is a swirling stereo effect which only works properly with headphones on, as you rightly guessed. This song is about the rise of the Cyborgs, from initial communications to a robotic type march on humanity, a la Terminator style.

doktordoktor said

Thanks DJ Ursine. I can’t take all of the credit for this. I use loops mostly, and the timing takes care of itself on the app I use. An ear for what will work, and some imagination helps, but I guess I’m more of a DJ than a musician.

Tom Browning
Tom Browning said

Cool experimental sounds you have here, Steve! I really appreciate how you never rest on your laurels by relying on a formula. Instead you push your sounds in new and exciting ways–it’s quite inspirational. So what’s this one about? Does h/phones suggest we should be listening to this with headphones to get the desired effect? I can def see how this would be even more impactful w/ headphones!

DJ UrSine
DJ UrSine said

I’ve been looking forward to hearing this since you recently mentioned you were going to release a sci-fi themed song. This is some masterful FX wrangling. Where others may give up on the difficult task of keeping the FX from losing the beat, you’ve pulled it off with what sounds like a very disciplined approach to your rhythm elements. I can definitely keep movin’ to this groovin’!

No pic small

Love this song

doktordoktor said

Praise indeed from somebody who knows what they are doing with keyboards/synths. I appreciate your comments, and thanks for the vote of confidence!

doktordoktor said

Thanks DJ Ursine. The virtual guitar was the only freehand part of the track, and I wanted to leave it raw and unedited to create the contrast you noticed. I was tempted to edit it and phrase it better, but it might have ended up “too perfect ” . I’m sure you know what I mean : )

DJ UrSine
DJ UrSine said

It’s always a challenge to take a song in two different directions moodwise, but it is well worth it, as demonstrated here. In addition to a catchy hook, you’ve given this song a heart and soul that draws the listener in by evoking the intended introspective mood. I think you’ve definitely conveyed both the outer and inner emotions you were going for, both in melody and composition. Favorited!

DJ UrSine
DJ UrSine said

Very chill groove! I like the pulsed bass under the drum breaks. The lead guitar gives it an edge that contrasts with the more laid back feel of the groove. Nicely done!

tonysouthdakotah
tonysouthdakotah said

thank you dear sir for commenting so kindly on my track (republic of bigfoot), I’m very happy to meet your acquaintance. Your music is interesting and reminds me of Deine Lakein or Depeche Mode or something in that genre, but unique and nice. I hope you will have great success as a professional musician.

doktordoktor said

Thanks again Tom, for commenting on my music. This is meant to be about someone who is encouraged to be upbeat and happy and enjoy life, while privately they are thoughtful and confused, and that is why the mood of the music changes around so often. It’s just an experiment to see whether I can convey mood and emotion without vocals. I’m glad you liked it. Next up will be a sci-fi tune, coming soon : )

Tom Browning
Tom Browning said

Yes! Brings back a lot of childhood memories of playing video games late into the night. I’m not afraid to admit I rocked out to video game songs when I was a young kid. Eventually I discovered guitar based music when I was 12 and went down that rabbit hole, but I still get big time nostalgia when I hear stuff like this.

As a side note, I hear echoes of Anamanaguchi in what you have here, so you might check them out for similar vibes (if you’re looking for further inspiration in this direction).

Thanks Lux Lucis : )

lux lucis
lux lucis said

I love this. Badass guitar.

doktordoktor said

Thanks Andrew. Appreciate your comment. I wish I could sing better though!

Thanks James. I’m flattered

James Michael Taylor
James Michael Taylor said

Send this to the Munich Chamber of Commerce. It is so visual. Perfect for a track with video.

Andrew Russe
Andrew Russe said

Yep, very cool. Shouldn’t be my sort of thing at all - but it grabbed me. Excellent sounds too, really excellent.

Andrew Russe
Andrew Russe said

This makes me smile. Love the funky guitar picking.

James Michael Taylor
James Michael Taylor said

V ery clean.
AND about my song: FRED’s…you suggested I develope it further. I’ll see wha I can do. I just hadn’t thot of that. Thanks for listening.

doktordoktor said

Thanks reefwalker and Tom. Glad you enjoyed it. I will write the lyrics up.

Tom Browning
Tom Browning said

Fun song, Steve–found myself doing some air guitar on this one! Would love to see the lyrics displayed somewhere because it was harder to make out some words and I’m always interested in lyrical content whenever you step outside the instrumental realm. Looking forward to more songs!