from Anytown, US

Comments on Tom Browning's stuff

Tom Browning said

Thanks for listening to my Beck covers, Steve! I’ve been listening to a lot of his Sea Change album lately and I’ve set up a goal of learning the whole album. I’ve been pretty busy lately and so recording them has been a slower process than I had initially hoped, but I’m glad you have enjoyed the few songs I’ve posted so far! Thanks, as always, for your encouraging words!

doktordoktor said

Like the singing. Beck’s songs are a bit melancholic. You perform this very well. Good job!

doktordoktor said

Nice version Tom. Tone of it sounds great. Suits your style.

Tom Browning said

Thanks for the kind words, Steve! These last three songs (“Golden Age,” “Memory Lame,” and “Therefore I Am”) are all different kinds of songs for me and I wasn’t sure how they’d be received, so I’m glad you liked them!

doktordoktor said

Lovely vocals. Well performed as usual Tom. I’m sure most of us can relate to this subject.

doktordoktor said

Another song, not sure who Jim is criticising again. Clever lyrics, and I think you deliver them simply and yet effectively. Good work!

doktordoktor said

Nice version Tom. Don’t know the song or whether it’s literally about another person, or religion, or what? It’s sad, but I like it.

Tom Browning said

@sistersavage Thanks so much! I was kind of going for the sort of song you might listen to on your headphones in the dark – so I’m glad it was received that way.

sister savage
sister savage said

Smashed it. Great late night feel.

Tom Browning said

Thanks for the kind feedback, Steve! This one was a bit of challenge as the chords are a bit obscure, but it was a fun one to record nonetheless.

doktordoktor said

Moody and deep, enjoy the guitar tone and your expressive vocals Tom.

Tom Browning said

Thanks for the kind feedback, Steve! I enjoyed playing around with lyrics to this one to suit the sentiments that were floating around in my head at the time, so I’m glad that it turned out suiting me ‘cause that is what I was going for!

doktordoktor said

Lovely vocals. Great expression in your voice, this number suits you well, good work Tom!

doktordoktor said

Nice job Tom. I haven’t heard this song before, but I can sense the emotions you convey in the lyrics. The quick chord changes sound tricky. Well done!

Tom Browning said

Thanks for the kind words, Steve! I’m glad you appreciated the backing vocals at the end of the song–I was trying to replicate a tension of ideas (and impulses) so I wasn’t exactly sure how that part was going to be received. It’s cool that you noted that part and thought it enhanced the song (which is what I was going for!)

doktordoktor said

Lovely tone, a nice depth created, and great vocals add up to a really good sound here Tom. Like the way you have added an extra dimension with accompanying vocals. Well done!

Tom Browning said

It was tricky to figure out how I wanted to strum it because the Dawes version has several layers and that forced me to do my own direct version, which, to my surprise, ended up sounding better to your ears. High praise–thanks, Steve!

doktordoktor said

This sounds tricky to strum and sing at the same time. I like the rhythm you give it, and vocals are good too. I had a look at Dawes playing it, and I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. I prefer your version Tom, more direct and effective I reckon. Good job!

Tom Browning said

Thanks so much, Steve! The chorus was particularly tricky to pull off, but I’m reasonably happy with the way it turned out and I’m glad you enjoyed it!

doktordoktor said

Multi layered this time Tom.like the extra guitar coming in. It sounds great. Not easy song to carry off but you have done a very good job. Super!

Tom Browning said

Thanks, Bookey! Every passing year I grow in my appreciation for Elliott Smith. I recorded another song of his recently, so check it out if you like.

Tom Browning said

Thanks, as always, for all the kind words, Steve! I’m not a 100, though sometimes I feel that way, haha! I’ve spend the last two decades almost constantly listening to and learning about music. I don’t have much of a “life” outside of school and music and so that’s probably why my musical interests seems so varied.

doktordoktor said

I haven’t heard this song. It sounds great though. You always surprise me with the range and amount of material you work with. I don’t know how you have experienced so much music. Are you a hundred years old?

doktordoktor said

Lovely version. Emotional and well expressed and executed. Cool!

doktordoktor said

This is a new one for me. Nice melody, played and sung very well as usual.

doktordoktor said

Stretching out those vocal chords again Tom. Very good!

bookeybbb1111
bookeybbb1111 said

Yes to ES always

Thanks @GregConnor!

Tom Browning said

Thanks, as always, for the encouragement, Steve! I thought about making this song longer, but I decided to take a page out of one of your books (cuz you are versatile enough to have many metaphorical books) by going with something short, sweet, and straight to the point. That said, next time I suspect I’ll do something longer.

doktordoktor said

Really nice. I wish it was longer. Lovely song Tom!