from Anytown, US

Comments on Tom Browning's stuff

doktordoktor said

Lovely vocals. Great expression in your voice, this number suits you well, good work Tom!

doktordoktor said

Nice job Tom. I haven’t heard this song before, but I can sense the emotions you convey in the lyrics. The quick chord changes sound tricky. Well done!

Tom Browning said

Thanks for the kind words, Steve! I’m glad you appreciated the backing vocals at the end of the song–I was trying to replicate a tension of ideas (and impulses) so I wasn’t exactly sure how that part was going to be received. It’s cool that you noted that part and thought it enhanced the song (which is what I was going for!)

doktordoktor said

Lovely tone, a nice depth created, and great vocals add up to a really good sound here Tom. Like the way you have added an extra dimension with accompanying vocals. Well done!

Tom Browning said

It was tricky to figure out how I wanted to strum it because the Dawes version has several layers and that forced me to do my own direct version, which, to my surprise, ended up sounding better to your ears. High praise–thanks, Steve!

doktordoktor said

This sounds tricky to strum and sing at the same time. I like the rhythm you give it, and vocals are good too. I had a look at Dawes playing it, and I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. I prefer your version Tom, more direct and effective I reckon. Good job!

Tom Browning said

Thanks so much, Steve! The chorus was particularly tricky to pull off, but I’m reasonably happy with the way it turned out and I’m glad you enjoyed it!

doktordoktor said

Multi layered this time Tom.like the extra guitar coming in. It sounds great. Not easy song to carry off but you have done a very good job. Super!

Tom Browning said

Thanks, Bookey! Every passing year I grow in my appreciation for Elliott Smith. I recorded another song of his recently, so check it out if you like.

Tom Browning said

Thanks, as always, for all the kind words, Steve! I’m not a 100, though sometimes I feel that way, haha! I’ve spend the last two decades almost constantly listening to and learning about music. I don’t have much of a “life” outside of school and music and so that’s probably why my musical interests seems so varied.

doktordoktor said

I haven’t heard this song. It sounds great though. You always surprise me with the range and amount of material you work with. I don’t know how you have experienced so much music. Are you a hundred years old?

doktordoktor said

Lovely version. Emotional and well expressed and executed. Cool!

doktordoktor said

This is a new one for me. Nice melody, played and sung very well as usual.

doktordoktor said

Stretching out those vocal chords again Tom. Very good!

bookeybbb1111
bookeybbb1111 said

Yes to ES always

Thanks @GregConnor!

Tom Browning said

Thanks, as always, for the encouragement, Steve! I thought about making this song longer, but I decided to take a page out of one of your books (cuz you are versatile enough to have many metaphorical books) by going with something short, sweet, and straight to the point. That said, next time I suspect I’ll do something longer.

doktordoktor said

Really nice. I wish it was longer. Lovely song Tom!

Greg Connor
Greg Connor said

Very Pretty

Tom Browning said

Glad you loved it, Steve! I about strained my vocal chords singing it, but it was definitely worth it to do justice to such a classic.

Tom Browning said

Thanks, Proods! I actually tried to play and sing this one in a more understated way so I’m glad it still turned out good.

doktordoktor said

A Beatles cover! Love it Tom. Singing is great. I think you’ve done it justice buddy!

The Proods
The Proods said

This is a great pitch for that amazing voice! So good

Tom Browning said

Thanks, Steve! And I’m looking forward to hearing more of your stuff – long or short, it’s always fun and interesting.

doktordoktor said

This is good. I don’t know the song, but I like your version.

doktordoktor said

Like the melody here Tom. Nice job!

Tom Browning said

I had a fun time recording it, so I’m glad you enjoyed it, Steve! And you should def try a Chili Peppers-esque song when you get the time. I’d be very interested to hear your take on a song in that style.

doktordoktor said

Interesting cover. I was thinking of doing a Chili Peppers style number. This is good, just you and the guitar. It sounds really cool. Not an easy song. Well done Tom!

Tom Browning said

Indeed this song was surprisingly challenging to sing and play because that famous riff requires a bit of a stretch and on top of that I tended to play it too fast (a common problem I have). But I’m glad it turned out okay even though it was something I probably recorded a little too hastily. All that said, many thanks for listening to my stuff, Steve!

Tom Browning said

@TheProods Even though I sometimes like experimenting with different sounds, I inevitably come back to the stripped down sound. Thanks for encouragement!