Comments on Gumbo's stuff

Gumbo's avatar
A happy song about being left by your no-good spouse. There's a word for the attitude in this song but I can't think of it right now ... this is now a tidied up version 18/3/09
acoustic57's avatar
acoustic57 said

Back-at-ya sassy. Well done :-)

Gumbo's avatar
An old time fiddle tune without the fiddle, or the tune, really, so the vocal has to carry it, and it has that lovely raw propulsion. Written and recorded in an hour.
acoustic57's avatar
acoustic57 said

This is really cool !!!

Gumbo's avatar
Sassy Nation version! Sister Savage and Mr Sandbags collaborated on the original of this wonderful heartbreaker of a song. I've been playing it on the guitar the last few days and it always seemed to come out with a grittier tone, so i asked…
acoustic57's avatar
acoustic57 said

Cool---- the rough guitar and vocals fit the mix nice :-)

Colleen Dillon's avatar
Colleen Dillon said

I could listen to this all day!

Gumbo's avatar
This was an RPM track back in the day, and I've been playing it various ways to find a setting for it within the band repertoire. This doesn't sound much like our band would do it but it came out nicely, so i thought i'd share it.
Colleen Dillon's avatar
Colleen Dillon said

This is a classic indeed. Love your vocals too. Thanks for listen8mg to a few of mine as well. I hope all is well in your world.

Gumbo's avatar
Final version Day 28 Anyone else still writing songs? this is the result of trying to listen to too many mixes in one day. Sometimes it's just easier to record something else.
Ricia Rae's avatar
Ricia Rae said

Nice! Love the style and the lyrics

Gumbo's avatar
Final Version If in doubt write more songs with Kazoo solo! and heckling! this is as close as i got to some hokum jug band
Ricia Rae's avatar
Ricia Rae said

oh yes!! This is fun....more Kazoo :)

Ricia Rae's avatar
Ricia Rae said

wow....so beautiful! Great lyrics. Seriously fantastic. I'm an old Dylan fan and this hits the spot.

Gumbo's avatar
I'm not sure if this is rockabilly or late 40s jump R'n'B. Dance music though. I had fun with the lyrics and the backing vocals. This is now a tidied up version 18/3/09
Sister Savage's avatar
Sister Savage said

Still brilliant.

Gumbo's avatar
Those stark Moonlit nights have something of a reputation, but there are other things lurking in the moonlight.
Sister Savage's avatar
Sister Savage said

Wonderful song - awesome performance.

Gumbo's avatar
There's a whole mythology woven into this song, and hence into the album, and the weave is fine and warm.
Sister Savage's avatar
Sister Savage said

Hey, where did the video go? Giving this album a whirl again - still one of my faves.

Gumbo's avatar
Written today. recorded on an iMac with the internal mic and no headphones (!) so it's probably going to be muddy as hell, but that feels about right for now. LYRIC: Fill up the glass, Bartender Ply your art Quench the fire in here, now…
World War Nine's avatar
World War Nine said

@Crossroads @jackmerlot: Hello? I think I'm in the right place, but there is nobody around right now? @raven: Caw! Never-more. @jackmerlot: Well a fat lot of good you are. Can you say anything else, or are you one of those greasy, diseased birds with no conscience? @raven: Kra-Kaw! Never-more...never-mind...he's here! @mingus: And I suppose you're wondering what you'd do, for a lifetime subscription to Ernie Ball's Bass Strings of the Month club, & a signed copy of the Black Saint & the Sinner Lady? @jackmerlot: Hey, wait a minute. A guy that kinda looked like you gave me this card. *pulls out business card, printed on heavy bond stock with slightly raised monogram letterpress printed on it* @mingus: Ah, uh, yeah. I mean, Ah Um. @raven: Kraaaakkow! RED-RUM! @jackmerlot: Hey, thanks a lot for meeting me, but you're not actually the guy I meant to meet here. @woodyguthrie: May I help you? He's standing in a State Fair Kissing Booth about 20 yards from @crossroads. Do you wish to trade business cards with Woody Guthrie? ( y/n )

Gumbo's avatar
Cave Street posted a track recently, their contribution to the Woody Guthrie Project, organised by Akron Family. http://akronfamily.com/woodyproject/W.G.A..html I wanted to take a shot at this too, so here's my demo. It was really just half…
World War Nine's avatar
World War Nine said

Aww, man. My cousin's youngest just turned one; his name is Arlo. I never axed my cousin if they named him after Arlo Guthrie, but I guess in the back of my mind I always assumed they probably considered that when they named him. "This Machine Kills... Fascists." written in Sharpie marker on Woody Guthrie's acoustic guitar.

Gumbo's avatar
Final version Every so often when i'm thinking of something else a western song pops up as if there is a soundtrack to a movie running in the back of my head. I might have to gather em all up into a playlist some day. track nine, or at least…
World War Nine's avatar
World War Nine said

Love the minor / finished triad movements

Gumbo's avatar
I'm finally happy with this track - v1 was too much of a nothing song and it's been bugging me all the way to the last night of the challenge. 1 more to mix
World War Nine's avatar
World War Nine said

Some skiffleheads I know dig this real well.

World War Nine's avatar
World War Nine said

Creaky ol' Wurlitzer warm & inviting

World War Nine's avatar
World War Nine said

Sounds a little Dylanesque, love it.

Loved this version.

Gumbo's avatar

Surprising how one song can be played in many different ways and still retain it's individuality.

slkrell's avatar