Comments on Gumbo's stuff

Sassy Nation version! Sister Savage and Mr Sandbags collaborated on the original of this wonderful heartbreaker of a song. I've been playing it on the guitar the last few days and it always seemed to come out with a grittier tone, so i asked…read more
fudgetusk said

good voice, guitar and tune.

Written today. recorded on an iMac with the internal mic and no headphones (!) so it's probably going to be muddy as hell, but that feels about right for now. LYRIC: Fill up the glass, Bartender Ply your art Quench the fire in here, now…read more
World War Nine said

@Crossroads

@jackmerlot: Hello? I think I’m in the right place, but there is nobody around right now?
@raven: Caw! Never-more.
@jackmerlot: Well a fat lot of good you are. Can you say anything else, or are you one of those greasy, diseased birds with no conscience?
@raven: Kra-Kaw! Never-more…never-mind…he’s here!
@mingus: And I suppose you’re wondering what you’d do, for a lifetime subscription to Ernie Ball’s Bass Strings of the Month club, & a signed copy of the Black Saint & the Sinner Lady?
@jackmerlot: Hey, wait a minute. A guy that kinda looked like you gave me this card. pulls out business card, printed on heavy bond stock with slightly raised monogram letterpress printed on it
@mingus: Ah, uh, yeah. I mean, Ah Um.
@raven: Kraaaakkow! RED-RUM!
@jackmerlot: Hey, thanks a lot for meeting me, but you’re not actually the guy I meant to meet here.
@woodyguthrie: May I help you?

He’s standing in a State Fair Kissing Booth about 20 yards from @crossroads.

Do you wish to trade business cards with Woody Guthrie? ( y/n )

Cave Street posted a track recently, their contribution to the Woody Guthrie Project, organised by Akron Family. http://akronfamily.com/woodyproject/W.G.A..html I wanted to take a shot at this too, so here's my demo. It was really just half…read more
World War Nine said

Aww, man. My cousin’s youngest just turned one; his name is Arlo. I never axed my cousin if they named him after Arlo Guthrie, but I guess in the back of my mind I always assumed they probably considered that when they named him.

“This Machine Kills… Fascists.” written in Sharpie marker on Woody Guthrie’s acoustic guitar.

Final version Every so often when i'm thinking of something else a western song pops up as if there is a soundtrack to a movie running in the back of my head. I might have to gather em all up into a playlist some day. track nine, or at least…
World War Nine said

Love the minor / finished triad movements

I'm finally happy with this track - v1 was too much of a nothing song and it's been bugging me all the way to the last night of the challenge. 1 more to mix
World War Nine said

Some skiffleheads I know dig this real well.

World War Nine said

Creaky ol’ Wurlitzer warm & inviting

This was an RPM track back in the day, and I've been playing it various ways to find a setting for it within the band repertoire. This doesn't sound much like our band would do it but it came out nicely, so i thought i'd share it.
World War Nine said

Sounds a little Dylanesque, love it.

Final version Day 28 Anyone else still writing songs? this is the result of trying to listen to too many mixes in one day. Sometimes it's just easier to record something else.

Loved this version.

Surprising how one song can be played in many different ways and still retain it’s individuality.

slkrell said

Well, Gumbo Ill follow you any where

slkrell said

Alone tone needs more of this a few less mixes Faved

slkrell said

Oh, my this is great stuff!
You got a real sound here. More more more

Sister Savage said

COME BACK

rob mills said

Hey Stu, people are asking if you’re gonna be RPM-ing this year. Hope so!

Those stark Moonlit nights have something of a reputation, but there are other things lurking in the moonlight.
Sister Savage said

All those guest comments from the last few years and from me. So I won’t add to them…apart from to say, I agree with Guest.

Mike Mclaren said

I tell my students to keep things simple—couple o’ chords, not to many notes, and just tell a good story. That’s what makes a best songs. This fits that definition.

Mike Mclaren said

I love pure folk tunes like this. Nice work.

A happy song about being left by your no-good spouse. There's a word for the attitude in this song but I can't think of it right now ... this is now a tidied up version 18/3/09

a lot of joy here!