I set myself the challenge of making a track this evening. I’ve uploaded it with 2 minutes to spare.
I started out with a wind chime instrument in Kontakt. I sequenced it using the PX-18 sequencer and then fed three different version of it through Yottskry (a granular instrument I built in Reaktor). Then I layered the original and the granular processed versions and added some Eos reverb.
Then I created a number of audio loops by sequencing (again using the PX-18 from Max4Live) various different Alchemy choir sounds until I had about 10 loops. Then I spent some time feed these loops, 3 at a time, them through Yottskry. I also had a sample of some radio traffic as the 4th source in Yottskry.
Again, when it came to arrangement, I layered the processed output from Yottskry over the original loops.
Finally I added a laid back beat, using Stylus-RMX, which helped to glue things together. I used RMX chaos designer and some delay to keep it interesting.
Once I had the basic track laid out I didn’t do very much arrangement, mainly level adjustment and fades. Then I added some compression & limiting and bounced it.
The basis of the sound was really the wind chime which I tuned down to octave 0 to get it something like an underwater bell. It’s a sound I really love. I wanted to use the Alchemy choir material again and it naturally seemed to gravitate towards the sinister. They seemed to blend well.
I think it came out pretty good.